LA will keep its stay-at-home orders in place through to August as infections and deaths continue to rise and the county’s health director warned a ‘dramatic change’ is needed before lockdown rules can be relaxed.
LA County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer announced during a Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday that the stay-at-home orders will ‘with all certainty’ be extended for the next three months.
Ferrer said the shocking timeline will only change if LA sees a ‘dramatic change to the virus and tools at hand’.
The county continues to see a spike in cases and deaths, with another 566 people testing positive and 39 dying from the virus Monday.
This takes the total death toll in LA to 1,570, meaning it makes up more than half of the 2,789 deaths across the whole of California.
While other parts of the state have recorded a decline in daily infections and deaths, LA continues to record a growth in both areas.
Ferrer said the aim is to ease restrictions over the coming months but that this will only happen if the rates of infections and deaths decline.
‘Our hope is that by using the data, we’d be able to slowly lift restrictions over the next three months,’ she said.
The county also needs to have access to more ‘tools’ such as testing to bring the outbreak under control, she added.
Just 240,000 of the 10 million residents have been tested for the virus so far, with around 12 percent testing positive.